Understanding the Risks of Dental Implants
At Colorado Premier Dental, we strive to provide patients with exceptional outcomes through dental implant treatment. Dr. Brian Polidori in Lakewood, CO, uses advanced technology and careful techniques to minimize dental implant risks including infection, damage to blood vessels and nerves, and implant failure. Dr. Polidori takes every measure to ensure patient safety, and also provides explicit recovery instructions to make certain that your treatment is a success.
Risks and Complications
|First 6 Months||Long-Term|
Restoring your smile with dental implants involves unique risks during and after the healing period.
Factors That Contribute to Complications
There are several factors that can increase your risk of dental implant complications, such as:
- Several studies indicate that tobacco use is directly associated with an increased risk of dental implant failure and complications including bone loss and peri-implantitis.
- Alcohol Consumption
- Drinking alcohol during your recovery can affect blood clotting and osseointegration, both of which are crucial to the long-term success of your treatment.
- Dental Implant Maintenance
- Ongoing dental implant maintenance including regular brushing, flossing, and rinsing are important to remove debris and bacteria from the treatment area, preventing infection and other complications. After you have healed, practicing excellent oral hygiene can help you avoid periodontal health issues that can result in implant failure, such as gum and bone recession.
Certain medications and conditions such as diabetes can also impact the healing process. It is important to be up-front with your doctor about your medical history during the consultation so that he can determine whether dental implants are right for you.
Our Role in Implant Success
While there are risks associated with this procedure, 95.5 percent of implants placed by implant specialists are successful. With his extensive training, Dr. Polidori can plan and perform an implant treatment that provides a lifetime of invaluable benefits.
Every dental implant treatment is personalized for the best possible outcome.
When evaluating your candidacy and planning your procedure, Dr. Polidori will use advanced imaging technology to examine your jawbone and assess your overall oral health. He can also use these highly detailed images to plan the optimal places to insert your dental implants. When necessary, he can perform bone grafting to create a better foundation for your implants. Every dental implant treatment is personalized for the best possible outcome.
Weighing the Benefits
Although it is important to understand the risks associated with dental implant treatment, you should also understand that dental implants can provide you with:
- A better-looking smile
- The ability to eat any foods you choose
- Protection against jawbone atrophy
- Prevention of further tooth loss
- The ability to speak more clearly
- Boosted self-confidence
If you have suffered tooth loss, we highly recommend you consider dental implants.
Serving Your Best Interests
Our team is dedicated to helping you successfully restore strength and aesthetics to your smile with dental implants. If you considering dental implants, contact us online or call us at (303) 935-3465 to learn more about the procedure and whether it is right for you. During a consultation with Dr. Polidori, he can answer all of your questions and help you understand every aspect of this treatment.